Updated: Friday, 21st February 2020 @ 12:40pm

Manchester to remember Tunisia beach attack victims in St Peter's Square tomorrow

Manchester to remember Tunisia beach attack victims in St Peter's Square tomorrow

| By Tommy Wilson

Manchester will tomorrow observe a national minute’s silence in remembrance of the victims of the Tunisian beach attack.

The ceremony, in St Peter's Square, will take place at midday with ​civic leaders, including the Lord Mayor of Manchester Councillor Paul Murphy OBE and Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, joining council staff and members of the public for a solemn moment of contemplation and reflection.

The silence will commemorate all those who lost their lives when gunmen, with links to Islamic State extremists, opened fire on a beach in Sousse, Tunisia on Friday 26 June.

Lord Mayor of Manchester Paul Murphy OBE said: “The unprecedented scale of the horrific attack that took place in Tunisia last week is genuinely chilling.

“The Incomprehensible actions of a small misguided group of people have reverberated across the world and my thoughts are with the innocent victims and all their family and friends.

“Friday will provide us with a chance to show our respect to all those who lost their lives and stand defiantly in solidarity against all atrocity.

The beginning and end of the minute’s silence will be marked by the firing of a maroon from Manchester Town Hall.

Lord Murphy encouraged as many members of the public as possible to pay their respects.

“I’d ask for as many people as possible to join me in St Peter’s Square to honour the victims of a tragedy we will never forget," he said.

Image courtesy of Manchester Modernist Society, with thanks.