Updated: Monday, 27th January 2020 @ 4:34pm

Manchester gets its first dedicated Halloween parade

Manchester gets its first dedicated Halloween parade

By Paulyn Lloyd

Ghouls, ghosts and goblins wandered the streets of Manchester on Sunday in the city’s first Halloween Day Parade.

The parade was set up by Carl Whitely, the man behind the Zombie Walk held in Manchester last year.

Carl said the event was fuelled by his love for horror films. He sees Halloween as an important event in the Zombie calendar so he decided it needed an event to mark it.

He said: “It went fantastically. Everyone young and old had a great time and the weather held out for us which was great.”

More than 2,500 people attended the event and all proceeds will be donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation, The Christie and Manchester Carers.

Proceedings ‘came to life’ at The Printworks, and entertainment included face painting,  Halloween stalls, apple bobbing and a pumpkin carving competition in Henry J Beans.

The event was also used to launch Zombie-Aid’s charity single with all proceeds donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Jane Barrett was there with her two children. She said: “It’s been great fun and it makes a change to trick-or-treating. We’ve really enjoyed it.”

The parade was funded by Smiffy’s fancy dress and Manchester City Council.

Councillor Pat Carney was there, in his ‘beastly best’, and said they are keen to build it up as an annual event and hoped it will be as popular as New York’s Halloween Parade.

He said: “It was out of this world, it was absolutely fantastic. All credit to Carl and his team.”

Carl hopes to organise another parade next year.

“Expect bigger and better,” he said.