Updated: Monday, 20th November 2017 @ 5:34pm

Distraught mums demand fireworks ban after two Salford boys' faces melted in 'Onion Bomb' explosion

Distraught mums demand fireworks ban after two Salford boys' faces melted in 'Onion Bomb' explosion

By Dean Wilkins

Two horrified mothers are demanding that fireworks are banned from the UK after their sons’ faces were scorched in a violent explosion in Salford.

Dale Scott, 11, was doing ‘penny for a guy’ with his friends outside a shop when his mum Vicky Stephenson went into another.

Suddenly, Dale was blinded when an Onion Bomb exploded in his face, melting his skin and burning off his hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.

At the same time of the incident, firefighters were treating a ten-year-old boy for injuries at a home on Cumbrae Gardens, Salford.

Ms Stephenson said: "Fireworks should be banned. They need to stop coming into the country because they are just so dangerous.

"I don't know why anyone would give something so dangerous to a ten and 11-year-old.

"Dale is fearless and he just does whatever his mates do  but I think this will definitely have made an impact on him. 

"It's half-term, he is supposed to be having fun. Now he's in hospital and he's lost all his hair – he could have lost his arm."

The two injured boys are friends and had been outside a shop with another boy, thought to be aged 14, and their Guy Fawkes when Dale’s mum nipped into another shop. 

The 43-year-old, who lives in Prestwich, said: "Next thing I knew, Dale was ringing me on my mobile screaming saying a firework had exploded and he'd burnt his face. He was shouting 'firework, firework'.

"I think what's happened is that when I went to the shop they've got this firework from somewhere and lit it. Then the older lad has taken them both home and run off.”

Dale and his mum had been staying at her partner’s house in Oronsay Grove, Salford, so that the youngster could be nearer to his school friends over the half-term.

GMFRS was called to Cumbrae Gardens, Salford, where the ten-year-old boy was, at around midday after reports that a firework had exploded in a child's face.

The firework involved is thought to have been an Onion Bomb – a highly explosive firework that is not legally on sale to the general public.

The boy was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

"When I got back to my partner's house, Dale had a towel over his face and he was scorched, so I took him straight to hospital,” his mum added.

"He was hysterical because he was burning and they put him on morphine when we got to the hospital. He's lost his hair, eyebrows and eyelashes and got burns on his hands, his skin is peeling off.

"I just don’t know how Onion Bombs and industrial fireworks can get into the wrong hands.”

The teenage boy has been taken to Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool where he is being treated for burns injuries.

Area Manager Geoff Harris, Head of Protection at GMFRS, said: "We are extremely interested in how this firework ended up in a street where children were able to play with it.

“We need to take action and prevent further fireworks from getting into the wrong hands. They are not on general sale for a very good reason and we do not want anybody else getting injured."

If you can help, please contact Greater Manchester Police or Crimestoppers.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.