Updated: Tuesday, 25th February 2020 @ 8:29pm

Real Madrid wanted Falcao for free or not at all, says striker's father after Man Utd loan move

Real Madrid wanted Falcao for free or not at all, says striker's father after Man Utd loan move

| By David Cowlishaw

Manchester United beat Real Madrid to Radamel Falcao because the Champions League holders didn’t stump up the necessary funds, according to the striker’s father.

The Colombian made a late season-long loan move to Old Trafford on Monday that was finally confirmed after the deadline had passed.

The 28-year-old had been strongly linked with Real this summer, but they were unable to make a firm financial commitment to signing his son.

Radamel Garcia, Falcao’s father, told Colombian radio station LA FM: “The deal with Real Madrid did not happen because if you have money and you go to the market to buy a shirt or a pair of trousers, you have to decide whether to buy it or not.

"Real Madrid chose not to. I don't know, I have the feeling they wanted the player for free with a number of conditions.

"In any case, they bought the trousers and shirt they wanted and they considered that to be better. We have to accept it."

Man City were strongly tipped to get the striker in on loan from Monaco at the beginning of transfer deadline day, but Garcia says they were one of many.

"The clubs that showed an interest in him were Juventus, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal at the last minute," he said.

"Fortunately, he has arrived to Manchester United, a great club. Thank God everything came through with United.

"Radamel is a person who has given a lot in Europe and has always deserved the best for all the effort, all the sacrifices he has made during his football career.

"United is the most important team in England and one of the most powerful from an economic standpoint.”

Falcao is highly-regarded as one of the best centre-forwards in football having made his name with impressive goalscoring records for Porto and then Atletico Madrid.

He surprised many when he moved to Monaco, but his first season at the French club was ended prematurely by a knee injury which also forced him out of the 2014 World Cup.

Garcia said: "He has adapted to European football.

“In the teams he has been since he left (River Plate) Argentina (in 2009), his integration has been very easy.

"He was very happy at Monaco but, unfortunately, they changed the original plan and decided to sell the players they had bought."

The striker is expected to make his Old Trafford debut at home to Queens Park Rangers on September 14, sporting the number nine shirt vacated by Monaco team-mate Dimitar Berbatov.

Main image courtesy of MUTV via YouTube, with thanks.