Updated: Tuesday, 19th November 2019 @ 10:49pm

‘For now there is nothing’: Costel Pantilimon’s agent drops more hints of giant keeper’s Manchester City exit

‘For now there is nothing’: Costel Pantilimon’s agent drops more hints of giant keeper’s Manchester City exit

By Paddy von Behr

Costel Pantilimon’s Manchester City future hangs in the balance, after the giant goalkeeper’s agent revealed he has not made contact with any suitors.

The 6ft8in stopper has spent two seasons at the Etihad Stadium, but he never made a Premier League appearance under former boss Roberto Mancini.

And agent Ion Timofte, who linked his client with a move to Italy in April, insists he has not entered negotiations with anyone.

"There has been no contact with Fiorentina or with other Serie A sides," he told calciomercato.it.

"I don't know if Costel will remain at Manchester City, the market is not officially opened yet.

"Going to play in Italy? It's a beautiful country, but then I repeat - for now there is nothing."

Timofte’s comments are reminiscent of those he made in April, suggesting Pantilimon is keen for a move to a Serie A club.

"One thing is for sure – Costel would love to play in Italy with a club like Fiorentina," Timofte told TMW.

“We haven’t talked to Manchester City about his future yet. There are six weeks to go until the end of the season and we’ll discuss it after that."

The Romanian keeper featured in every round of City’s FA Cup run this season until the final, when he was replaced by number one stopper Joe Hart.

Mancini had previously said Pantilimon ‘deserved’ to feature, but the keeper reportedly handed in a transfer request shortly before the final, which City lost 1-0 to Wigan.

That decision was believed to be the final nail in his City coffin and Timofte’s latest remarks suggest the keeper is looking for a way out.

Image courtesy of mcfc, via YouTube, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.