Updated: Saturday, 29th November 2014 @ 6:21am

Family of Manchester man killed in hostage rescue mission speak of their heartache

Family of Manchester man killed in hostage rescue mission speak of their heartache

By Sophia Rahman

The family of the Manchester man killed when UK Special Forces attempted to rescue him, have spoke of their heartache at news.

Chris McManus, a 28 year-old building contractor from Oldham, was kidnapped from his apartment by gunmen in North-West Nigeria in May of last year.

Franco Lamolinara, an Italian co-worker of Mr McManus was also abducted.

Their captors were terrorists associated with the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.

Due to recent developments, Prime Minister David Cameron said that Misters McManus and Lamolinara had been in ‘imminent and growing danger’ and an opportunity had arisen for a rescue mission to be undertaken.

Mr Cameron said: "The terrorists holding the two hostages made very clear threats to take their lives, including in a video that was posted on the internet.

"Preparations were made to mount an operation to attempt to rescue Chris and Franco. Together with the Nigerian government, I authorised it to go ahead, with UK support."

He went on to say that he believed the hostages were: "Murdered by their captors, before they could be rescued."

This is disputed by a Nigerian official who claims that the two men were caught in a crossfire during the rescue attempt.

The government say they are awaiting further details.

In a statement, the McManus family said they were ‘devastated by the news of Chris’s death’ but were confident ‘everything that could be done was being done’ during their ten month ordeal.