Updated: Friday, 18th August 2017 @ 11:03am

Police name teen stabbed in Moss Side fight and insist his death is an 'isolated incident'

Police name teen stabbed in Moss Side fight and insist his death is an 'isolated incident'

| By Kate Solomon

The young man who died in Tuesday night’s stabbing in Moss Side has been named as 18-year-old Sait Mboob.

So far little is known about Mboob, but it is believed that he attended Loreto High School and Connell Sixth Form College.

It is still unclear if his death was gang-related or linked to the conviction of 11 young men for the killing of Adbulwahab Hafidah shortly before the incident occurred on Tuesday.

Hafidah was run over, attacked with a hammer and stabbed by gang members in Moss Side on May 22 last year.

However, Superintendent Dave Pester of Greater Manchester Police told MM: “People have got to recognise that this is an isolated incident and that this is in no way indicative of South Manchester and in particular the Moss Side community.”

Whilst the area suffered waves of gang-related violence in the 1990s, in recent years crime rates in Moss Side have reduced significantly.

Mboob’s ex-girlfriend Dominique Samuels told the M.E.N he was ‘an amazing person’.

Samuels denied that Mboob was a gang member, saying instead he was ‘in the wrong place at the wrong time’.

Now, police say that their priority is identifying witnesses and CCTV footage to find out who was responsible.

Three other young men sustained serious injuries in the incident and remain in hospital.

Anyone with any information should call police on 101 and quote incident number 1918 of Wednesday 9 August 2017, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Image courtesy of Sait Mboob Facebook