Updated: Wednesday, 26th June 2019 @ 11:40am

‘Stronger next year’: Vincent Kompany defiant after Manchester City's Champions League exit to Barca

‘Stronger next year’: Vincent Kompany defiant after Manchester City's Champions League exit to Barca

| By Paddy Dinham

Vincent Kompany believes Manchester City will not be intimidated by anyone in next season’s Champions League after crashing out at Barcelona.

A 4-1 aggregate loss confirmed their elimination from a second of three possible further trophies this season inside four days, following the shock defeat in the FA Cup to Wigan on Sunday.

Having been outclassed at home last month, their chances of progression were slim but Kompany believes their display in the Nou Camp yesterday has boosted belief that they can progress further next year.

"If anything, it should give us motivation," the captain said.

"Only the winners get remembered, but it's only the third year ever for Manchester City in the Champions League. I'm looking at this and I don't see why next year we should fear anyone."

The two legs had noticeable similarities, with Lionel Messi and Dani Alves netting for the Catalans and City being reduced to 10 men in the process on both occasions.

The Blues, who won the Capital One Cup earlier this month and have a chance of claiming the Premier League this season, showed more attacking intent at Barcelona's cavernous stadium however, with Kompany equalising after Pablo Zabaleta had been sent off for his protestations towards Stephane Lannoy’s failure to award a penalty for a challenge on Edin Dzeko.

"For me, it was a clear penalty," Kompany said. "He is in a position to shoot and his triggering foot is getting caught - it takes the chance away.

"But we can discuss stuff like this - you never know whether it would have put us in a position to qualify."

Image courtesy of Lee Smith via Action Images, with thanks.