Updated: Thursday, 16th July 2020 @ 3:42pm

Didsbury granny protects toddler as burglars raid home

Didsbury granny protects toddler as burglars raid home

A terrified grandmother hid in her bedroom holding her two-year-old grandson as burglars ransacked her Didsbury home last week.

Anne Wynne, 56, had been enjoying a quiet evening in front of the TV with her sister and grandchildren when intruders broke into her house in the early hours of the morning.

The burglars helped themselves to two computers, a camera, and a purse while Ms Wynne cradled toddler Alex upstairs and tried to keep him from crying. 

"It was heartbreaking to know that my things were being stolen - literally from under my feet - but I was too petrified to do anything but comfort Alex," said Ms Wynne.

Ms Wynne's  four-year-old grand-daughter, Scarlett-Rose, was also asleep in the home at the time.

The Burton Road resident added: "Eventually I got up the nerve to go downstairs and the doors were wide open and things were all over the floor. 

"It was such a terrible shock," she said.

Ms Wynne said the total cost of the stolen goods is estimated at £500 but the loss of hundreds of images saved on the computer of her grandchildren are priceless.

"It's heartbreaking to know that we'll never get those memories back. I just wish we'd backed them up," she said.

Her partner, who was not home during the raid, said he couldn't believe how much nerve the burglars had.

"There were two cars in the drive so it was obvious someone was home and they had to lift  a heavy seven-foot gate off its hinges to get in, " said Simeon Davies, 45.

The couple have since reinforced the gate with an iron bar to secure the property.

Ms Wynne said: "I've been burgled eight times now. I think I've had my fair share of bad luck.

"Having said that, it could have been a lot worse."

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "It is believed the intruder[s] climbed over a garden gate and forced open the kitchen door before stealing [the goods] from the kitchen.

"There were no reports of any injuries.

"Anyone with information is asked to call Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050."