Updated: Friday, 22nd November 2019 @ 2:37pm

Veteran North West BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall to be sentenced on child sex charges

Veteran North West BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall to be sentenced on child sex charges

By Glen Keogh

Former Manchester-based BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall is due to be sentenced today after he admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls – the youngest aged just nine.

Hall, 83, was branded a child abuse ‘predator’ by the prosecution following his guilty pleas last month.

The former It’s A Knockout presenter and BBC Radio 5 Live football commentator had previously denied all allegations, insisting the allegations were ‘pernicious, callous, cruel and above all spurious’.

Nearly two decades separated the first and last assaults, but in a brief outline of the abuse read out at an earlier hearing, almost all of the victims are said to have provided ‘strikingly similar accounts.’

In the 1980s, Hall molested a nine-year-old girl by putting his hand up her clothing. He also kissed a 13-year-old girl on the lips after he said to her: “People need to show thanks in other ways.”

Hall will be sentenced at Preston Crown Court later this morning and MM will have the full story.

Image courtesy of BBC, via YouTube, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.