Updated: Tuesday, 2nd September 2014 @ 1:38pm

Manchester United star Ryan Giggs agrees damages claim with News of the World following phone-hacking

Manchester United star Ryan Giggs agrees damages claim with News of the World following phone-hacking

By Dean Wilkins

Manchester United’s Ryan Giggs has agreed a damages claim with News International following phone-hacking allegations from News of the World.

The United winger reached a confidential settlement since the proceedings last came to court in front of Mr Justice Vos at London’s High Court.

Hugh Tomlinson QC said that the Giggs case was now resolved but there are still 46 active claims, this the second batch of the lawsuit.

TV presenter June Sarpong is launching proceedings against the newspaper and lawyers are battling to ensure each claimant will feel comfortable enough to settle.

Mr Tomlison told Michael Silverleaf QC for NGN that there had been ‘concealment and disposal of evidence’ which led many victims to be suspicious.

He added: "The whole purpose of this litigation is to achieve peace ultimately with the people who were intercepted."

Some of the 46 claimants include: James Blunt, England international Peter Crouch and his wife wife Abigail Clancy, boxer Chris Eubank, politician Nigel Farage, footballer Kieron Dyer, golfer Colin Montgomerie's ex-wife Eimear Cook, presenter Jamie Theakston; former Prime Minister Tony Blair's wife Cherie Blair, Rugby World Cup winner and TV presenter Matt Dawson, actor James Nesbitt, and footballer Wayne Rooney.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.