Updated: Thursday, 9th July 2020 @ 8:21am

Blues boss demands double as Mancini and Tevez bury hatchet

Blues boss demands double as Mancini and Tevez bury hatchet

By Dean Wilkins

Roberto Mancini is challenging Manchester City to complete the double after accepting Carlos Tevez’s apology.

The Blues sailed through to the next stage of the Europa league after beating Portuguese holders Porto FC 6-1 on aggregate last night. And, with the dispute between the Italian manager and AWOL Argentinian put to bed, Mancini has called for his team to complete the double of the Premier League and the Europa League.

City’s strike-force of Sergeio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, David Silva and David Pizarro put four past the Porto defence, and with Balotelli set to continue his salient second season of English football, Carlos Tevez has slipped down the pecking order to ‘fourth choice’.

Speaking after his side’s Wednesday win, Mancini said: “We hope we can win both, you know it’s not easy. We want to try to get to the final if it’s possible. But it will be difficult because in the Europa League you play top squads like United, Valencia, Schalke. It’s like the Champions League.

“In the Premier League, we are top. If we win the next 13 games we win the league.

“It was a good night but it was not easy. It’s not easy to beat Porto because they are a top team in Europe and they played very well. I’m happy that we go into the next stage.”

On Tuesday, Tevez apologised ‘sincerely and reservedly’ for his unauthorised three-month absence to his manager, the club and the fans. Mancini has accepted his apology and claims the forward could return to first team football in less than a month.

‘Finished’

Mancini said: "I've accepted his apology. I think he needs two to three weeks to train, then some games.

"I'm happy with what Carlos said. Tomorrow I'll talk to him."

Tevez said in Tuesday's statement: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions have caused offence."

He was also appealing against the club’s disciplinary proceedings taken against him following his controversy in September, but has decided to not pursue this. After refusing to train and come on as a substitute against Bayern Munich in the Champions League, Tevez’s career at City was ‘finished’, according to his manager.

Earlier in month, the striker was included in Mancini’s 25-man squad for the rest of the reason.