Updated: Sunday, 17th November 2019 @ 5:12pm

Manchester City's Tevez transfer to Brazilian Corinthians collapses

Manchester City's Tevez transfer to Brazilian Corinthians collapses

By Charlotte Duncker, Senior Sports Correspondent

Carlos Tevez’s proposed £40million move to Brazilian side Corinthians has collapsed after the side said there is not enough time to complete the move.

As MM reported only days ago, City’s top scorer was set to leave Manchester after Roberto Mancini confirmed that an agreement had been reached with the Brazilian side.

However, a statement released by Corinthians has deemed the move impossible and Tevez looks like he will have to return to Manchester.

"The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentine striker Carlos Tevez," said the statement.

It continued to state the difficulty of signing the Argentine striker given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday July 20th and they needed more time for the transfer to complete.

They said: "We are aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."

The statement suggests that the side may try to sign Tevez in the January transfer window but for now he will have to return to the club he has expressed a desire to leave.

Following this the rumour mill has gone in to overdrive and it has been suggested that City will try and do a deal with Inter Milan which will see Wesley Sneijder moving to the Etihad stadium and Tevez going to Italy.

City fan, Ben Cox, believes it will be impossible for Tevez to play for City again after everything he has said about Manchester and expressing his desire to leave the club.

He said: “If he doesn’t end up leaving I think he will get a really hostile reception at the start of the season. He’s made it clear he wants to leave and we don’t want players who aren’t committed to this club so he should go.”

It is thought that City will bump Tevez’s transfer fee back up to £50million if he is to be snapped up by one of their European rivals and both Real Madrid and Inter Milan are rumoured to be interested in the striker.

With 42 days left of the transfer window the speculation will continue as to where Tevez will spend the 2011/2012 season but if someone doesn’t offer the right money he could be stuck in the city with only two restaurants for at least another six months.

Have your say on this topic in the comments box below.

More related stories:

 

Top scorer Tevez edges his way closer to City exit

Tevez hits out at Manchester, the city 'with only two restaurants'