Updated: Sunday, 29th March 2020 @ 7:27am

Rio Ferdinand cleared after complaints about Twitter competition for Manchester United match tickets

Rio Ferdinand cleared after complaints about Twitter competition for Manchester United match tickets

By Dean Wilkins

Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand was cleared of misleading Tweeters about a competition for match tickets today.

The footballer posted messages on January 25 and 26 offering two free tickets against Stoke to anyone who had downloaded the Rio Ferdinand application.

However, complaints were received about the promotion as it did not make the terms and conditions clear and explain how the winner would be selected.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) cleared Ferdinand and said the tweets made it clear that he was offering a prize draw, and provided sufficient information to not be misleading.

The ASA ruled: "We noted that the winner was randomly selected from the list of registered 'addresses' of those who had downloaded the app before the deadline and understood that those registered 'addresses' did not contain any identifying information or contact details.

"We were therefore satisfied that that selection process had been properly administered and that the winner had been randomly selected."

It added: "Because we considered that all the significant terms and conditions of the prize draw had been set out in Rio Ferdinand's tweets, and because we were satisfied that the prize draw had been properly administered, we concluded that the prize promotion was not misleading."

Ferdinand Tweeted: "I'm giving 2 tickets away for our home match against Stoke (31st Jan KO 8pm)...I will tweet tomorrow morning with details of how to enter...," and "If you have downloaded the Rio Ferdinand App on iphone/ipad/Android or do so by Monday 5pm u may be randomly picked out to win the tickets! GO."

A later tweet explained: "We only see registrations. Will be random pick & a unique message sent to winning device explaining how to collect tickets - no big brother!"

Ferdinand is represented by New Era Global Sports Management who said that the application download was free and he did not receive any fees for his role in the giveaway.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.