Updated: Tuesday, 7th July 2020 @ 11:04pm

Largest-ever reward offered by Greater Manchester Police in hunt for men wanted over grenade and gun murder

Largest-ever reward offered by Greater Manchester Police in hunt for men wanted over grenade and gun murder

By Mancunian Matters staff

The largest reward ever issued by Greater Manchester Police is being offered in the hunt for two men wanted in connection with a gun and grenade attack that left a father dead.

Police are doubling the reward to £50,000 for anonymous information that leads to the arrest of Dale Cregan, 29, from Droyslden, and Anthony Wilkinson, 33, from Beswick.

The pair are wanted in connection with two machine gun and grenade attacks on Friday August 10, which left David Short dead at his Clayton home.

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: "The £50,000 is the largest sum of money GMP has ever offered for information leading to the arrest of any individuals.

"This amount of money will allow the recipient to not only change their own lives forever, but to provide long-term financial security for their whole family. "Somebody in the communities of Manchester know where Cregan and Wilkinson are hiding and we are urging these people direct to do the right thing."

At 10.30am on August 10, the body of 46-year-old David Short was found at a house on Folkestone Road East in Clayton after police were called there following reports of gunshots.

There had also been an explosion at the address, which was caused by a grenade. Less than ten minutes later, shots were fired and there was another grenade explosion outside a house on Luke Road in Droylsden. No-one was injured during this incident. Cregan is also wanted in connection with the murder of Mark Short, David’s son, at the Cotton Tree Pub on May 25 2012.

"It is highly unusual to offer such a large sum, but we understand people are worried about their safety when providing information to the police. That is why the information can be given anonymously through Crimestoppers," Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan added.

"We are now entering the third week of this operation and we understand that people will be impatient for results. "This is why we continue to investigate this round-the-clock and continue to have firearms officers patrolling the streets. I hope that people can also feel reassured by their presence.

Three men, aged 25, 28 and 37, who were arrested on suspicion of murder, have been bailed until October pending further inquiries. A 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder on Thursday has also been bailed to the same date.

Jermaine Anton Ward, 24, who was arrested on suspicion of murder on Thursday, was charged with murder on Saturday.

He is due to appear before Manchester City Magistrates' Court on Monday August 27.

Anyone with information they wish to pass to police in relation to this investigation is asked to call police at the Major Incident Team on 0161 856 3301 or 101, or call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.