Updated: Thursday, 27th February 2020 @ 5:52pm

Ten years in jail for man who raped and threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend

Ten years in jail for man who raped and threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend

By Mel Hughes

A man from Salford was jailed yesterday for 10 years for raping and threatening to kill his former girlfriend.

Gareth Stephen Hutchinson was found guilty of rape, attempted rape, two counts of sexual assault, making threats to kill and causing actual bodily harm at Liverpool Crown Court.

His girlfriend, who wishes to remain anonymous, has spoken about the events that took place and hopes that her bravery will help encourage other victims to do the same.

“I knew he had problems but I thought that being with me would be a fresh start for him. However, man I love raped and sexually abused me in the most terrifying hours anyone could ever imagine.

“I want to encourage other victims of domestic abuse to come forward to the police, knowing that something can be done.”

The assault took place in February this year after he and his girlfriend had been celebrating at friend’s birthday and ended up staying over at the friend’s house in Leigh.

The next day, after leaving the house for a few hours, he wrongly accused his girlfriend of sleeping with a lodger at the house.

Hutchinson then got very angry and subjected her to a vicious sexual assault. He also attempted to suffocate and strangle his victim.

At one point, he put a knife in her mouth and said: “I’ll give you three seconds to say you love me.”

He then attempted to rape his girlfriend again but someone came into the house and disturbed him. He then threatened to ‘stab everyone’ if she told anyone what had happened.

She was forced to stay in the house again that evening but, when Hutchinson made off early the next morning she told relatives and police what had happened.

The day before the trial began, Hutchinson telephoned the victim from prison and explained the implications of her giving evidence and how he hoped they could get on with their lives if he was released.

She bravely told the police about this call and a recording was played in court the following day.

Detective Constable Rob Kitchen from Wigan CID praised the victim for her bravery in coming forward to report the incident to the police.

“While the physical injuries have cleared, the emotional scars will be with her for the rest of her life. Hutchinson has rightfully been put behind bars for a long time for what he has done to her,” he said.

He also explained that the police take all reports of rape are dealt with seriously and investigated thoroughly without prejudice.

Greater Manchester Police have specifically trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and to help support them through the trial process.

Anyone who has been a victim of rape can contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050 or 999 in an emergency.

 St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre can also be contacted on 0161 276 6515. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and they can be accessed as a self-referral or via GMP.