Careless cooking: Multiple kitchen fires across Salford and Manchester prompt warning from emergency services

By Gabriella Swerling

Four kitchen fires in 24 hours across Salford and Manchester are prompting firefighters to warn those cooking to be more careful.

Crews were called to Millennium Point Harbour, Salford Quays, at around 4.35pm as a woman, 31, burned her hands after attempting to extinguish a pan that had set alight on an unattended electric cooker.

Although the fire was already out when they arrived, the woman had slight burns to her hands and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Councillor David Acton, Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “Distraction is one of the biggest causes of fires in the kitchen.”

Only a few hours later, firefighters were called to Sycamore Road, Eccles, at about 7.10pm after clothes caught fire when they were knocked on top of an electric cooker by a dog.

At 10.15pm, crews were in Yewdale, Swinton, after a resident fell asleep, leaving the grill pan on. Fortunately, he escaped without harm.

Another incident happened at about 2am this morning when around 30 students were evacuated after a fire had started in a communal kitchen in Manchester.

The oven had been left on and the door collapsed once the door’s seal had melted. The fire spread to the cupboards and ignited the fire in the fourth floor flat.

Councillor Action warned: “When cooking please give it your full attention – it only takes a few moments for a fire to start.”

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook. 

Related Articles