News

Tied, beaten and sexually abused: Rapist jailed after Bolton man attacked during humiliating four-hour ordeal

By Helen Le Caplain

A man who tied-up, savagely attacked and raped a man during a four-hour ordeal was jailed yesterday.

Stuart Whitehead, 23, of Cromwell Grove, Levenshulme, was found guilty of raping the 31-year-old man in Heaton on October 18 2011 following a trial at Bolton Crown Court.

His brother Sean Bailey, 19, also of Cromwell Grove, Levenshulme, was acquitted of the same offence following a trial.

Both had previously pleaded guilty to false imprisonment and assault.

Whitehead was sentenced to an indeterminate sentence for public protection; he must serve a minimum of four years before being considered eligible for parole.

Bailey was jailed for three years in July 2012 following his acquittal of rape.

The pair assaulted the man, stripped him naked and bound him with cellotape during the attack, taking numerous pictures on Bailey’s mobile phone of the shocking ordeal the victim was put to.

Whitehead was left alone with the victim who was then subjected to an horrific rape.

The attack happened at a flat on Wyresdale Road, Bolton, at about 6.30pm.

Whitehead had invited the victim around for a drink and Bailey was also in the flat.

Without provocation, Whitehead launched into a brutal assault, kicking and punching him on the sofa and then stamping on him.

Bailey then joined in, leaving the man bleeding from his nose and face.

Over the next four hours, they continued their vicious assault – at various points telling the victim his ordeal was over, only to start again.

During the assault Bailey appeared with a knife and the victim genuinely feared he would be killed and pleaded for his life.

When he was tied-up, the victim told the pair his wrists were ‘going blue’ because they were so tightly bound, at which point Whitehead simply laughed.

Eventually, the duo released the man and told him that should anyone ask, he was to tell them he had been attacked by an Asian gang.

They returned him to his flat to ensure that he did not deviate from this story once back with his family.

They then reassured the victim’s uncle of how lucky it was that they had come along and disturbed this gang before anything worse could happen.

The man sought treatment at the Royal Bolton Hospital for a badly swollen left eye, bruises, cuts and bumps to his head, face, neck and chest and a suspected broken nose.

While at hospital, he reported his ordeal to police.

Bailey and Whitehead were arrested, and it emerged the pair had used Bailey’s mobile phone to take pictures of the man when he was tied, beaten and sexually abused.

He was pictured with horrific injuries to his face as at one point he was forced to stare at the camera while being photographed.

One shot shows Whitehead with his top off sweating, showing how tired he had become from assaulting the man over such a long time.

The images were deleted and the crime scene cleaned by the brothers, who lied to police throughout the investigation, constantly denying any involvement in the offence.

Bailey described himself as a ‘good Samaritan’ for coming to the victim’s aid during the false attack by the Asian gang.

It was only when police confronted them with the evidence of their involvement in the offence that they admitted beating the man.  

Detective Constable Adam Gleave, of Bolton CID, said: “The facts in this truly appalling crime speak for themselves.

“Over a four-hour period this man was subjected to the sort of cruelty that defies belief.

“He was savagely beaten and then raped by Whitehead.

“Not content with that, these brothers took pleasure in further humiliating him by taking photographs, capturing the shocking and cowardly abuse on camera.

“They then tried to dispose of the evidence but forensic recovery of the images and items used during the attack were recovered by the police.

“I am sure anyone who is reading this will be as sickened as I am by what happened and that the only appropriate punishment is a lengthy stint behind bars.

Quite simply, anyone prepared to commit these sorts of acts does not deserve their freedom.

“I also want to take this opportunity to praise the victim’s bravery. Because of his courage, police were able to expose these heinous crimes.

“This was a difficult case to investigate but had it not been for the victim’s stoic determination that these men be held to account for their actions then convictions might not have been gained.

“Because he came forward, we were able to not only bring these men to justice but also offer him support from the St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre, which provides a fantastic service to anyone who is a victim of rape or sexual assault.

“I would urge anyone who has been affected by any of these crimes to come forward so we can put you in touch with specially-trained officers who can help you, and together we will bring your attacker or attackers to justice.”

Anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault can contact Greater Manchester Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

GMP has specially trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and help support them through the criminal justice process.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles