Paramedics treat three Manchester officers after suspected poisonous chemical leak at Miles Platting flats

By Dean Wilkins

Three officers were treated after breathing in potentially fatal chemicals as fumes leaked out from block of flats in Manchester today.

MM understands that a resident had committed suicide using fatal chemicals in a home on the first floor of the tower block off Droitwich Road, Miles Platting, earlier this morning.

Emergency services evacuated the first floor of the building after a body had been found, and firefighters are currently dealing with the incident.

Police attended the flat after a concerned resident alerted 999 shortly after 8.50am today.

Officers smelt fumes coming from the address after looking through the property’s letterbox – paramedics then treated three officers at the scene.

A cordon has been put in place and nearby residents were asked to remain in their homes.

Superintendent Vanessa Jardine, said: “Emergency services are currently at the scene and dealing with the incident, although we expect things to normal this afternoon.

“When the officers attended they identified a strong smell coming from the address. They have been treated by paramedics and thankfully are not believed to have suffered any ill effects.

“The body of a man was found inside and we are conducting an investigation into his death and the circumstances surrounding it.” 

Fire crews from Phillips Park and Manchester Central remain on scene after being called out shortly after 9.30am – specialist teams wearing protective breathing apparatus are currently carrying out a ventilation of the property.

The fatal chemicals are yet to be identified and a formal identification of the body will take place in due course.

Picture courtesy of Natalie Mac via Twitter, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.


Related Articles