Two arrested in Manchester over David Short murder, as police plea for nationwide help in Dale Cregan hunt

By Dean Wilkins

Two men wanted in connection with murdering David Short in Manchester were arrested during a house raid today.

The men, aged 32 and 37, were captured by armed officers this morning at homes in Tameside and Oldham and are being quizzed by detectives on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

But police are into their fifth week of hunting Dale Cregan, 29, of Droylsden, who is wanted over Mr Short’s brutal gun and grenade killing – and a £50,000 reward leading to his arrest is still being offered.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Heywood said: “It is now five weeks since David Short was tragically killed in a shooting and grenade attack at his home in Clayton and our investigation remains very much on-going.

“We have not relented in our high profile policing operation and have so far arrested seven people in connection with our inquiries and are continuing to look for Dale Cregan.

“We continue to have armed officers on patrol in the Droylsden and Clayton areas and this weekend, we will be publicising Dale’s photo and the £50,000 reward offer at football matches around the country.”

Images of Dale Cregan are currently plastered across Manchester city centre and an image was shown at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium two weeks ago.

Assistant Chief Constable Heywood added: “My officers have been paying regular visits each day to all of Dale Cregan’s family members, friends and associates and these visits will carry on until Dale is found.

“If Dale wants to take control of this situation and hand himself into police, then we encourage him to do so by speaking to a family member, friend, or his solicitor, where he can arrange to come into a police station and speak to us.”

At 10.30am on Friday August 10, the body of David Short, 46, was found at a house on Folkestone Road East in Clayton after police were called there following reports of gunshots.

There had also been an explosion at the address, which was caused by a grenade.

Less than ten minutes later, there was another grenade explosion outside a house on Luke Road in Droylsden. No-one was injured during this incident.

Two men have been charged in connection with David Short’s murder.

Anthony Wilkinson, 33, from the Beswick area has been charged with murder, attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

He appeared at Manchester City Magistrates’ Court on September 5.

Jermaine Anton Ward, 24, has been charged with murder and attempted murder and is next due at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square, on November 9.

Three other men arrested on suspicion of murder have been bailed until next month pending further inquiries.

Anyone with information can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or speak to officers directly from the Major Incident Team by calling 0161 856 3301.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles