News

Toddler seriously ill after swallowing corrosive oven cleaner in Manchester shop while mum wasn’t looking

By Dean Wilkins

A toddler suffered severe burns to his throat of sipping corrosive oven cleaner while his mum was shopping in Manchester.

The two-year-old boy is in a serious, but stable, condition at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital after being admitted at around 7.35pm on Monday.

Police are now investigating how the youngster was able to drink caustic soda – commonly found in oven and drain cleaners – without his mum knowing.

Superintendent Sarah Jones from South Manchester Division, said: “Caustic soda is a highly toxic chemical commonly found in drain and oven cleaners.

“If it is touched, inhaled or swallowed it can cause severe burns. This little boy took a drink from a bottle and is now seriously ill in hospital.

“I want to take this opportunity to remind people when storing products of this nature to make sure the lids of the bottles are on tightly, keep them in a cool place and out of reach from children, preferably in a locked cupboard.”

The toddler was out shopping with his mum, when they went into a shop on Claremont Road, Moss Side, on Sunday.

He was strapped into his push chair and when his mum wasn’t looking he reached over to a bottle containing caustic soda, he took the top off and drank some of the product.

He suffered serious burns to his throat and stomach.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles