‘We will bring you to justice’: GMP chief vows to catch anyone involved in events leading to death of two police officers

By Mancunian Matters staff

Greater Manchester Police’s assistant chief constable is pledging his officers will do everything they can to bring to justice anyone involved in the events leading to the deaths of two unarmed police officers yesterday.

ACC Gary Shewan is calling for any members of the public with information to ‘do the right thing’ and come forward.

His warning this morning comes after Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, were lured to their deaths attending what they thought was a routine burglary yesterday.

It emerged that Greater Manchester’s most wanted man, Dale Cregan, was hiding at the Hattersley property, which resulted in a gun and grenade fight.

ACC Shewan said: “Two hard working and brave young women did not go home to their loved ones as a result of a calculated and malicious plan.

“We are determined to bring each and every person involved in this incident to justice.

“If anyone has any information about what happened yesterday morning or in the lead up to it they must do the right and just thing and contact us in absolute confidence.”

Sir Peter Fahy, GMP chief constable, yesterday spoke of a ‘criminal conspiracy’ protecting Cregan in the hunt to locate him.

He said: “We believe that he has been protected by a criminal conspiracy to harbour him and we are absolutely determined to investigate the conspiracy and bring the people involved to book.”

ACC Shewan paid heartfelt tribute this morning to the two officers killed.

“Without doubt yesterday was the hardest and most upsetting day of my career,”he said. “”The impact of yesterday’s events will be felt by the force, residents of Greater Manchester and most importantly Nicola and Fiona’s family, friends and colleagues for many, many years, such was the regard in which they were held.

“I hope, like me, Nicola and Fiona’s family find some comfort in the many thousand messages of condolence and support that we have received.”

Following the incident, a Cregan, 29, was arrested after he walked into a police station in Tameside.

He has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of two police officers. He has also been arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder in relation to the investigations into the murders of David Short and Mark Short.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles