Campaigners are calling on David Cameron to halt the proposals to downgrade services at Trafford General Hospital by delivering a 12,500-strong petition to Downing Street.
The ‘Save Trafford General’ campaign – backed by television presenter Matthew Kelly – has strongly opposed the plans from the outset.
Under the proposals, entitled ‘A New Health Deal for Trafford’, the hospital’s accident and emergency unit will be reduced as well as cuts to acute surgery, intensive care and children’s services.
Campaign chair Matthew Finnegan said: “Commissioners have been woefully incompetent in failing to engage and involve local people, even managing to fail to send their consultation document to every home in the borough, as they had promised.”
“Thousands of local people have not been properly consulted.”
A spokesperson for NHS Trafford has previously said they are happy with current public involvement with responses to the proposals being returned in ‘a steady flow’.
Public consultation over the plans is set to end on October 31 and NHS Trafford have called on residents to make the most of the remaining time.
Dr George Kissen, medical director at NHS Trafford said, “We want to ensure that the hospital continues to be a vibrant part of the local community, providing the highest levels of safe and quality health care, both today and for future generations to come.”
“No change at the hospital is not an option,” Dr Kissen added. “We have to take difficult decisions.”