News

Manchester firefighters issue kitchen fire warning after woman, 88, hospitalised in Harpurhey

By Tanya Jones

Firefighters have issued a warning about the dangers of leaving ovens and hobs unattended after an elderly woman was hospitalised following a fire in Harpurhey on Tuesday.

Crews from Blackley Fire Station were called to a property in a sheltered housing complex on Caversham Drive at around 5pm.

They discovered an 81-year-old woman suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after plastic, oven gloves and a pizza cover, were left unattended near a hob which was lit.

Cllr David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority said: “Luckily, this woman wasn’t seriously harmed and our firefighters were quickly on the scene.

“But the consequences could have been devastating. This incident highlights just how easily a fire can start, so we are asking people to think that little bit more carefully when cooking.

“Distraction is one of the biggest causes of fire in the kitchen so, when you are preparing your food, please give it your full attention.”

In a separate incident in Salford on Tuesday, a 62-year-old woman was hospitalised with burns to her foot after a chip pan fire.

Firefighters were on the scene quickly and gave the woman first aid.

Cllr Acton said: “Chip pans are incredibly dangerous. They catch fire easily and the smoke from this type of fire is potentially lethal. We would urge anyone still using one to stop doing so immediately.”

Should a fire start in your home, the advice is to get out and call 999.

For further advice on home fire safety, visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles