By Helen Le Caplain, Senior News Correspondent
Mancunians are being given the opportunity to pay their respects to the Norwegian victims of last Friday’s terrorist attacks.
A book of condolence was opened earlier this week at Manchester Town Hall by Manchester’s Norwegian consulate following the attacks in Oslo and on the nearby island of Utoeya, in which nearly 100 people died.
Councillor Harry Lyons, Lord Mayor of Manchester, said that the shocking events in Norwayhad touched the people of Manchester.
He said: The loss of life is on a scale that is barely imaginable, particularly as many of the victims were so young.
He added: “I would urge all Mancunians to take the opportunity, if they can, to sign the book of condolence or leave messages of sympathy online.
“We cannot take away the pain of the families affected, but we can lend our support in the hope it offers strength.”
Edward Tjørn Bootland, Honorary Norwegian Consul for Manchester, expressed his gratitude to the people of Manchester for taking the time to sign the book.
He said: “The city of Manchester and the citizens of Norway have long enjoyed close social and business ties and I know that Norwegians everywhere are aware of and grateful for the support, sympathy and goodwill shown them by the residents of this city.”
He added: “Along with all the consulate and members of the Norwegian community in Greater Manchester, I have been shocked by the tragic events of July 22, and we send our sympathies to the bereaved and the injured.
Anyone who lives, works or visits Manchester will be able to express their sympathy for the victims by signing the book, available at the town hall’s main reception desk until 4pm on Friday July 29 – one week after a bomb blast ripped through the Norwegian capital.
Anyone who is unable to make it into the city centre but wishes to express their sympathy can leave messages by visiting www.manchester.gov.uk/norway