Non-league Matters: Hyde put seven past Woking while Stockport lose to late goal

By John McDougall & Ross McLean

League football returned with a bang in Greater Manchester’s non-league world this weekend, with plenty of thrills and spills, although the frost did have a say.

In the Blue Square Bet Premier, Hyde’s Phil Jevons scored four as the Tigers put a remarkable seven goals past Woking at Ewen Fields to win 7-0.

Jevons broke the deadlock just before half-time, before Scott Spencer slotted home in the 51st minute and Jevons scored his second just after the hour mark.

Matthew Harris’ 79th minute header and David Poole’s 86th effort made it five, before Jevons scored his third and fourth goals in the 89th and 90th minutes. 

The emphatic victory means Hyde have now won five of their last seven games, but drop a place in the table to 18th

Stockport County lost out a last minute Danny Rowe own-goal in a 4-3 thriller against Southport at Edgeley Park.

Chris Almond gave Southport a sixth minute lead, which were added to by Steve Akrigg in the eighth minute and a 33rd minute Andy Owens strike.

The Hatters responded through a 42nd minute Paul Turnbull header and a 44th minute Danny Hattersley penalty kick.

Andy Halls brought County level in the 58th minute, but Rowe’s 89th minute own-goal gifted the three points to the Yellows.

In the Blue Square Bet North, Altrincham defeated Boston United 3-2 at York Street.

Hotshot Damian Reeves gave the Robins the lead in the 48th minute, but Marc Newsham replied for Boston two minutes later.

Reeves put Altrincham back in the lead with a 58th minute header, with Nicky Clee adding a third in the 65th minute.

Kallum Smith got one back for the Pilgrims two minutes later, but Altrincham saw the game out to clinch the three points.

Stalybridge Celtic suffered last minute heartbreak as Vauxhall Motors scored a late winner to defeat them 1-0 at Bower Fold.

Louis Moss’ 89th minute header was all that separated the two sides as Motors beat Celtic for the first time since August 2010.

Droylsden had to settle for a point after drawing 2-2 with Oxford City at Court Place Farm.

Adam Learoyd gave Oxford the lead with a 71st minute header, but Ashley Palmer brought Droylsden level on 76 minutes.

Nathaniel Kerr gave the Bloods the lead with an 86th minute thunderbolt from 20 yards, but Andy Ballard netted an 86th minute equaliser to share the points.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, FC United of Manchester returned from the north-east with all three points after overturning the concession of an early strike.

Dean Stott and Michael Norton scored to cancel out Philip Airey’s opener for a win which sees the Red Rebels rise to seventh in the division’s pecking order.

Ashton United were denied the opportunity to close the gap at the top as their game at Rushall Olympic was called off due to a frozen Dales Lane pitch.

The same applied in Evo-Stik League Division One (North) as Trafford, Mossley, Radcliffe Borough and Salford City all lost out to the frost.

Curzon Ashton’s Tameside Stadium beat the weather and the Blues continued their upturn in form with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Harrogate Railway Athletic.

Kristian Dennis scored his 20th goal of the season from the penalty spot while second-half strikes from Matthew Purcell and Ryan Watson secured the points for John Flanagan’s side.

Ramsbottom United enjoyed an emphatic win in West Yorkshire as they trounced Ossett Albion 6-1.

Goal-twins Lee Gaskell (2) and Jon Robinson were back on the scoresheet together, while Philip dean (2) and Grant Spencer also found the net.

December is the month when non-league games feel the pinch of the bad weather but there is midweek action scheduled.

FC United of Manchester head to Worksop Town on Wednesday evening, with Karl Marginson hoping his side can take full advantage of a game in hand.

Prior to this, on Tuesday evening Ramsbottom United host Salford City in a league encounter while Radcliffe Borough head to Cantilever Park to face Warrington Town.

Also on Tuesday, Garry Vaughan’s Trafford entertain Leek Town in the first round of the Doodson Sport Cup with a home tie against Warrington awaiting the winners.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles