Non-league Matters: Stockport County fall to Woking defeat while Hyde fight back to beat Telford United

By John McDougall & Ross McLean

Though the build-up to Sunday’s crucial Manchester Derby took up many column inches, the non-league was in full flow on Saturday with plenty of excitement.

In the Blue Square Bet Premier, Stockport County lost 1-0 to Woking at the Kingfield Stadium.

Adam Doyle’s 85th minute header condemned the Hatters to a fourth successive league defeat, leaving them in 19th place.

Hyde came from a goal down to beat AFCTelford 2-1 at Ewen Fields, lifting the Tigers to 16th place in the table.

Steve Leslie’s cool 35th minute finish gave the visitors the lead, but Hyde launched a second-half comeback through David Poole’s 55th minute strike and Scott Spencer’s 65th minute winner.

In the Blue Square Bet North, Altrincham went down 1-0 to Gainsborough Trinity at Moss Lane.

Bradley Barraclough’s 74th minute strike proved to be the winner for the Holy Blues, as the Robins fell a place in the table to tenth.

Stalybridge Celtic also lost 1-0 to Solihull Moors at Damson Park, leaving the Celts in 15th place.

Dom Langdon’s 64th minute strike turned out to be the winner, condemning Celtic to their second successive defeat.

Meanwhile Droylsden succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against fellow strugglers Bishops Stortford at the Butchers Arms Ground.

Carlos Logan put the Bloods ahead in the 55th minute, but a 75th minute Matt Johnson strike and a 90th minute winner from Adam Bailey-Dennis broke Droylsden hearts.

The result leaves the Bloods in 20th place, as their relegation battle continues.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, FC United of Manchester left Keys Park empty handed as Hednesford Town’s top scorer Elliott Durrell scored the only goal of the game in the 66th minute.

With this defeat, the Red Rebels missed the opportunity to close the gap at the top of the league and remain outside the play-off picture in eighth.

Ashton United’s match at Hurst Cross against Frickley Athletic was postponed due to frost.

In Evo-Stik League Division One (North), Trafford returned home from West Yorkshire with three points after a narrow victory over Wakefield.

Stephen Mason scored the only goal of the game in the 57th minute as Garry Vaughan’s men closed the gap on the teams at the summit.

Clitheroe were beaten at Harrogate Railway Athletic while Mossley’s Seel Park pitch was deemed unplayable due to overnight frost as the Lilywhites’ match with Cammell Laird was postponed.

John Flanagan’s Curzon Ashton continued their resurgence with a commanding 6-1 victory over basement boys Garforth Town.

After a stuttering start to the campaign, John Flanagan’s side are up to seventh with this win, while forward Kristian Dennis has now netted 22 league goals this campaign.

Former Northwich Victoria striker Christopher Luby scored twice as high-flying New Mills defeated Prescot Cables at Valerie Park.

Ramsbottom United’s game at home to Ossett Town and the all-Greater Manchester affair at Moor Lane between Salford City and Radcliffe Borough both fell foul to the weather.

This week’s midweek action sees a heavyweight tussle at the top of the Evo-Stik League Division One (North) as Curzon Ashton host Trafford on Monday evening.

In the Premier Division, Karl Marginson’s FC United entertain lowly Kendal Town at Gigg Lane on Tuesday.

This game represents one of the games in hand the Red Rebels have on most teams above them in the league.

New Mills travel to Borrowash Victoria the same night for a Derbyshire Senior Cup third round tie.

Image courtesy of Wikipaedia, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook. 

Related Articles