Bury FC have been placed under a transfer embargo by the Football League, but insist they are not in a financial crisis.
The Shakers are unable to sign any new players after taking out an emergency loan with the PFA until mid-January.
Bury’s commercial director David Manchester is confident though that the club will pay it all back on time and in full.
“All businesses experience cash-flow problems and we’re no different to anyone else,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.
“December is traditionally not a brilliant month for attendances.
“Our attendance on Saturday [against Leyton Orient] was just over 2,100 and we’ve only got one more league game at home before January – on 21 December against Shrewsbury Town.”
The move prevented new signing Ben Parker – who agreed a non-contract deal with the Shakers last week – from playing in Saturday’s defeat to Leyton Orient.
Earlier today, a statement on the club’s website said: “Until the loan has been repaid the club has been imposed with an embargo in registering new players.
“As we speak we cannot register any new players until the 1st January 2013 under league rules, the embargo will extend that block on signing new players until this loan is fully repaid to thePFA.
“The board would like to assure all supporters that this is only a temporary issue.”
The club failed to take ticket revenue from their Football League Trophy Northern quarter-final after the match – scheduled to be played at Gigg Lane last Tuesday – was postponed due to awaterlogged pitch.
Kevin Blackwell’s squad currently includes six on-loan players with Matt Doherty, Tom Hopper, Zac Thompson, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Troy Hewitt and Gregg Wylde all arriving this season.
They will not be forced back to their parent clubs though, and will be eligible to play for the Shakers until their respective deals expire.
Bury travel to Southend tomorrow for their second-round replay against the Shrimpers, after the fixture at at Gigg Lane finished 1-1 nine days ago.
Image courtesy of YellowBook, with thanks.