Non-league Matters: Wins hard to come by as Blue Square North takes centre-stage

By John McDougall & Ross McLean

The Blue Square Bet North took centre stage in another busy day of non-league football in Greater Manchester as Stockport County and Hyde took a break.

Stalybridge Celtic dropped to seventh place in the division after losing 2-1 at Bower Fold against Corby Town.

Carl Pierganni gave the visitors a fourth minute lead, before Celtic levelled the scores thanks to a 63rd minute Kristian Platt penalty.

The Steelmen replied just three minutes later however, with Jason Crowe scoring what turned to out to be the winning goal. 

Struggling Droylsden suffered late heartache as they lost 2-1 to Solihull Moors at Damson Park.

Carlos Logan gave the Bloods a 37th minute lead, but the Moors levelled through Dior Angus’ 76th minute equaliser.

Angus snatched all three points for Solihull with an 89th minute free-kick, condemning the Bloods to their 16th league defeat of the season.

The result – their sixth league defeat in a row – leaves Droylsden in 21st place and eight points from safety.

Altrincham meanwhile played out a goalless draw with Worcester City at George’s Lane.

Despite neither side breaking the deadlock, Altrincham find themselves in fifth following the day’s other results, as their charge for promotion continues. 

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, FC United of Manchester convincingly beat Stafford Rangers 3-0 at Gigg Lane.

Jerome Wright gave the Red Rebels a 51st minute lead, before Matthew Wolfenden’s 72nd  minute strike and new signing Tom Greaves’ debut goal four minutes later sealed victory.

The win leaves FC United in seventh place, just a point from the play-off places.

An 87th minute strike from Gareth Grant condemned Ashton United to a one-nothing defeat to Buxton at Hurst Cross.

The loss leaves the Robins in eighth place – just behind FC United – on 38 points but having played two more games than their Greater Manchester rivals.

There were some important fixtures in Evo-Stik League Division One (North) as a number of Greater Manchester sides, and promotion hopefuls, went head to head.

The prolific Michael Oates scored two first-half goals – to make it 23 for the season – as Trafford beat league leaders Mossley at Shawe View to move Garry Vaughan’s side up to second and only three points behind the Lilywhites with three games in hand.

Skelmersdale United continue to rack-up games in hand and after pushing Luton Town close in the FA Trophy, now find themselves third with seven games in hand on Mossley.

New Mills again showcased their play-off credentials with an impressive win at The Harry Williams Riverside Stadium over Ramsbottom United.

An early Carlos Meakin strike together with a James Hampson double saw the Millers assume a commanding position before Dominic Smalley and a Phil Dean penalty ensured a nervy finale.

Salford City put on a five-star first-half performance against Wakefield to have the game well and truly sewn up by the break.

Daniel Heffernan notched a hat-trick while Robert Kinsella and Nathan Taylor also found the net.

Chris Hitchings and John Douglas scored late consolations for the visitors to give the scoreline a degree of respectability.

Elsewhere, the division’s leading scorer Kristian Dennis cancelled out an early Lee Atherton strike to earn Curzon Ashton a point at the Tameside Stadium against in-form Cammell Laird.

Radcliffe Borough failed to build on last weekend’s taming of high-flying Clitheroe as the Stainton Parkclub lost at home to Ossett Town.

Matty Chadwick cancelled out Grant Darley’s first-half strike before James Eyles scored to ensure the points would be heading back across the M62.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles