Sport

I’ll be back: Nick George ends stint at Manchester Giants but insists this isn’t goodbye

By Phil Jones

Former Great Britain forward Nick George insists the city has not seen the last of him, despite leaving Manchester Giants on Monday.

George signed a two-month contract with his home-town side in December, playing six games, but has decided not to extend his brief stay.

The 30-year-old may now return to the continent to continue his career, but said there will always be a part of himself in Manchester.

“I’m definitely going to be associated with the Giants, without a doubt,” said George.

“Since I’ve been back I’ve realised how much basketball is picking up and how much it would benefit from someone like myself going into the community.

“So I might explore that avenue while I’m making a decision on what to do next.”

George also hinted at a possible return to the club in a playing capacity, but admitted the two parties could not agree on an immediate contract extension.

“We’d talked about myself taking a role at the Giants in the future and maybe even playing again,” he added.

“I’m sure we’ll talk more in the next couple of months to see if there’s something we’d like to do.

“We had talked beforehand but things are difficult at the moment with the Giants being a first-year team.

“It was difficult to organise things within the time limit we had, but there were no problems and I had a great experience.”

Giants fans took George to their heart after he made an immediate impact, scoring with his first shot and thrilling crowds with his all-action game.

“I came in and hit my first shot wearing the jersey, that was always going to be a memorable moment,” he said.

“The game against Surrey – my first win – was fantastic but there were a lot of moments I could pick out from such a short period of time.

“The fans really made this experience, I’m definitely going to find a way to give back to Manchester basketball in some way.”

George’s final game in a Giants jersey was last Friday’s loss at Sheffield, after which the player prematurely informed the world of his departure via Twitter.

“We had already discussed things and I probably let the cat out of the bag a little early,” George added.

“It was a bit naughty of me but I was really emotional and just threw it out there.”

The forward averaged 17.5 points-per-game in his short stay and hopes the Giants can return to their glory days of the late 90s.

“The support myself and the whole team received was amazing,” he added.

“If that continues then it’s only a good thing and maybe it can take the club back to what it used to be.”

Manchester Giants issued a statement on their website on Tuesday, thanking the player for his efforts.

It said: “We sincerely hope to work with Nick again in the future and hope that everything works out for him at a personal and professional level.”

Picture courtesy of Jack Hinds Photography, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles