Non-league Matters: Stockport County hit Ossett Town for six while Hyde need FA Trophy replay against Barrow

By John McDougall

The FA Trophy first round involved three Greater Manchester teams, in what proved to be another day of drama and excitement in the non-league.

Stockport County put Ossett Town to the sword at Edgeley Park, with Connor Jennings, on-loan from Scunthorpe United, scoring a hat-trick for the Hatters in a 6-0 victory.

Jennings, 21, scored twice in the first half, with ninth and 39th minute strikes sandwiching an effort from Danny Hattersley, giving County a 3-0 half-time lead.

He then completed his hat-trick in the 55th minute, before a 75th minute strike from Danny Rowe and another goal from Hattersley on 79 minutes completed the rout.

Hyde face a replay inCumbriaafter being denied victory by a last minute goal in their 1-1 home draw with Barrow.

Alex Brown scored for the Tigers on 11 minutes, but his effort was cancelled out by a 90th minute screamer from Matt Flynn.

Altrincham, so nearly into the second round of the FA Cup, are out of the FA Trophy following a 5-2 thumping away to FC Halifax Town.

Damian Reeves gave the Robins a dream start after five minutes, giving the hotshot striker his 21st goal of the season.

Lee Gregory levelled the scores with a 31st minute goal, before a remarkable hat-trick in 197 seconds from Gareth Seddon gave the Shaymen a 4-1 half-time lead. 

Altrincham were reduced to ten men just after the break after Danny Hall saw red for a second yellow card, with Dale Johnson making it 5-1 soon afterwards.

Nicky Clee scored a 53rd minute free-kick to get one back for the Robins, but it proved to be nothing more than consolation. 

Droylsden and Stalybridge Celtic were both without games this weekend, after suffering defeat in the last round of the FA Trophy.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, Ashton United fell to third after succumbing 2-0 at home to table toppers North Ferriby United.

Ryan Kendall opened the scoring for the visitors on 19 minutes, before an 88th minute strike from Liam King sealed the victory for the Villagers.

FC United ofManchesteron the other hand were 2-1 winners away toChorley, leaving them ninth in the table.

Michael Norton gave the Red Rebels a 36th minute lead before Dale Whitham brought the scores level on 42 minutes.

Matthew Tierney eventually proved to be the hero for FC United after bagging an 87th minute winner.

In the Evo-Stik League Division One (North), Kristian Dennis scored four goals in Curzon Ashton’s 4-3 thriller with Ramsbottom United at The Harry Williams Riverside Stadium.

Grant Spencer gave the Rams a fourth minute lead, before Dennis scored a first-half hat-trick starting on 20 minutes and completing it five minutes before the break. 

Lee Gaskell got one back for Ramsbottom on 51 minutes, before Dennis scored his fourth just after the hour mark.

Philip Dean scored a penalty 15 minutes from full-time but the Blues held on to secure the three points.

SalfordCitydefeated Ossett Albion 2-0 atMoor Lanethanks to two own-goals from the away side.

Richard Tracey put the ball in his own net in the fifth minute, before team-mate Tyrone Gay did the same on 40 minutes, gifting three points to the Ammies.

Trafford beat mid-tableLancasterCity3-0 at Shawe View, Kamahl Whight opening the scoring in the seventh minute.

Two second-half goals from Martyn Andrews sealed the victory for the North, leaving them in fourth position in the table.

Radcliffe Borough had a miserable trip to Yorkshireafter losing 2-0 Farsley FC, leaving the Boro in 19th place.

First-half goals from Brice Tieni in the ninth minute and David Stead in the 33rd minute condemned Radcliffe to defeat.

Mossley played out a goalless draw withWarringtonTownatCantileverPark. 

Picture credit: Scunthorpe United

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles