Consecutive defeats for Hyde FC & Stockport County in Blue Square Premier

By Steven Oldham, Sports Correspondent

Stockport County and Hyde FC both fell to a second successive loss this weekend in the Blue Square Premier, with The Hatters’ Director of Football James Gannon critical of his team.

County lost 2-1 to Gateshead at Edgeley Park on Friday night despite taking the lead through Joe Connor in the first half.

However, the North East side rallied after the break and took all three points home with them thanks to goals from Ryan Donaldson and Micky Cummins.

Speaking to The Non-League Paper, Gannon said: “Every one of the players said they could have done better.

That’s disappointing and I pointed out to them the clause in their contract they should play to the best of their ability in all games.”

County have slipped to tenth in the table, and they will look to return to winning ways on Bank Holiday Monday away at AFC Telford.

Hyde have also lost two games in a row, and may be starting to realise how difficult life in the Blue Square Premier could be after successive games against promotion contenders.

The Tigers lost 1-0 away to Mansfield Town, just a week after going down 2-1 to Luton Town at Ewen Fields.

Matt Green scored the game’s only goal after seven minutes.

Boss Scott McNivern was forced to reshuffle his team just before kickoff after first choice goalkeeper David Carnell was injured in the warm-up.

This meant an unexpected debut for teenager Ashley Frith, previously of Glossop North End.

Hyde look to record their first win of the season tomorrow, when they host Southport.

Stalybridge Celtic and Droylsden’s 0-0 draw in the Blue Square North was not as dull as the scoreline suggests.

Droylsden earned their first point but both teams are still looking for a win after three games each.

Celtic had two goals chalked off for offside, and had more chances in the second half but could not convert them into goals that counted.

A controversial decision from the referee not to penalise Droylsden keeper Paul Phillips for appearing to handle outside the box when Joel Bembo-Leta was clean through had Stalybridge boss Jim Harvey running on the pitch, but his protests fell on deaf ears.

A clean sheet was much-welcomed for The Bloods who were demolished 7-1 in midweek by early pacesetters Guiseley.

Altrincham fell to a 2-1 defeat at Vauxhall Motors despite their opponents being reduced to ten men.

David Thompson’s opener gave Motors the lead at half time before their skipper Tom Hannigan was dismissed on 65 minutes after bringing down Damian Reeves.

The Moss Lane club could not get back into the game, and Vauxhall doubled their lead with five minutes to go through Dan Parkinson, before Reeves scored a consolation on the stroke of full time.

Tomorrow, Altrincham host Chester, Stalybridge travel to Colwyn Bay and Droylsden face Vauxhall Motors at home.

All three clubs know there is room for improvement, with Alty highest of the three in 15th place. Celtic are 18th with Droylsden a further two palce back.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, both Ashton United and FC United of Manchester maintainted their perfect start to the season with heavy wins. 

Ashton thrashed Eastwood Town 5-0 away, whilst FCUM convincingly beat Matlock Town 4-0 at Gigg Lane.

The Tameside club lead the table on goal difference, with the in-form Ben Deegan scoring his fourth goal in three games to open the rout.

Matty Barlow scored his first for the club, and there were also goals for Craig Robinson, Matty Kosylo and Tom Baker.

FCUM’s captain Kyle Jacobs marked his 100th appearance for the club with two goals as The Rebels brushed Matlock aside with ease.

Jacobs’ goals came after Mike Norton and Carlos Roca had put FCUM in control of the game.

Ashton host Nantwich Town on Monday and FC United travel to newly promoted Witton Albion.

Follow @spoldham on Twitter

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook

Related Articles