John Terry should consider himself lucky after only being given a four-match ban, claimed Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
The 31-year-old centreback was slapped with the suspension after the FA found him guilty of using racist language against QPR’s Anton Ferdinand in October 2011.
And although the Chelsea and former England captain will be able to appeal the decision once he is given a written report of the trial, Ferguson believes he should be careful about his next steps after seeing Patrice Evra and Luis Suarez end their differences on Sunday.
“There is a danger of it resurrecting itself because it has been going on so long,” said the Scot.
“But the fact he got a four-game ban, he may consider that is quite lenient considering Luis Suarez got eight.
“It is time to move on and so should the game.”
Terry announced his retirement from international football before his hearing began on Monday, claiming he could not continue after the FA’s decision to continue the investigation into the events at Loftus Road last year.
And with Terry’s exit the door has been left open for Rio Ferdinand to return, but Fergie is keen to see his only fully fit centrehalf remain out of the international equation.
“I wouldn’t think he will get called up,” said Ferguson.
“Roy Hodgson made his decision before the European Championships and I can’t see him changing that.
“It would be difficult for him now to go back to Rio Ferdinand and welcome him back.”