Dougie Freedman rages at ‘inconsistent’ refereeing after Bolton Wanderers loss to Charlton Athletic

By John McDougall

Bolton Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman feels poor refereeing decisions cost his nine-man side following their loss to Charlton Athletic at the Valley.

Marvin Sordell and Medo Kamara handed Bolton a two-goal lead before Johnnie Jackson replied, with Sam Ricketts seeing red before Dorian Dervite and Yann Kermorgant’s penalty gave Charlton victory.    

Substitute Craig Davies saw two late yellow cards to cap off Bolton’s miserable day, with Freedman feeling his players gave referee Trevor Kettle the opportunity to unfairly punish them. 

“I need to go to sleep before I can give a true comment on the referee because it’s a semi-professional attitude towards refereeing a game,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.

“I’m disappointed with myself and my players that we gave him the option to make decisions, as when he is in a position to make them, he’s inconsistent.

“The first yellow card for Sam is not right and the second yellow card for Craig is not right. We knew he was a sending off and booking type of referee.”

Bolton’s second successive defeat leaves them six points from the Championship play-off places with seven games remaining. 

Sordell gave the Trotters the lead after just four minutes, finishing deep inside the penalty area for his seventh goal of the season.

January transfer window signing Kamara doubled Wanderers’ lead on 20 minutes with a long-range effort for his first goal in English football.

Charlton captain Jackson pulled one back for the Addicks five minutes later, as the Trotters led at the break.

Ricketts was shown a second yellow card on 58 minutes after clashing with Ricardo Fuller, reducing Wanderers to ten men for the last half hour.

The Addicks quickly took advantage as Dervite scored on the hour from close-range to level the score.

Bolton went behind three minutes later when Darren Pratley fouled Fuller in the box, with Kermorgant stroking his penalty past Andy Lonergan.

The Trotters’ misery was completed in second-half stoppage time as they ended the game with nine men after Davies was shown two yellow cards in three minutes. 

Aside from the red cards, Freedman felt Wanderers did not take more of the opportunities they created when they had 11 men on the pitch.

“We are disappointed with the result. Obviously with the first-half performance, I felt it was good,” said the Glaswegian.

“Charlton came at us in the second-half and I felt we weathered the storm and looked pretty comfortable.

“If I’ve got any criticism, I felt we could have been more up with the way we played so we’ve got to look at that but I felt we were good on the front foot.”

Image courtesy of BWFCOfficial, via YouTube, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles