Meningitis alert: Sister of tragic Manchester student issues warning to other teens

The sister of a teenage Manchester student who tragically died from suspected meningitis on Sunday has issued a warning to others at university.

Teygan Sugrue, 19, was at his student accommodation on the Owen’s Park campus in Fallowfield when he became ill.

The teenager, who is originally from Cornwall but moved to the city to study Russian with economics, was taken by ambulance to Manchester Royal Infirmary but died shortly after.

His sister Katie has taken to Facebook to announce the heart-breaking news along with a health warning to anybody who may have been in contact with Teygan and may now be at risk of the virus.

She said: “This is most likely the hardest and most upsetting status I’ll ever have to write, but it is my deepest regret to announce that my brother Teygan passed away last night due to suspected Meningococcal Septicaemia (Meningitis).

“Attached is a message directly from Public Health England to advise about anyone who may have been in prolonged contact with my brother over the past few days when he came on a visit to Cornwall.

“We know he spent some time in Falmouth last week so if I could ask all his friends/Facebook contacts if they could share this status to make sure the message reaches everyone to avoid any harm to others health.

“Anyone with information of his known whereabouts during the week or maybe houses he slept at, please contact the numbers on the links below. Please act fast as this could potentially save someone’s life. Thank you everyone for your help, much love x.”

TRAGIC: Teygan Sugrue was just 19 when he passed away

Dr Lorraine Lighton, Consultant in Health Protection at Public Health England’s Greater Manchester Centre, said: “This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the student’s family.

Meningococcal infection is comparatively rare, but everyone should be aware of the symptoms to look out for and be prepared to take urgent action whenever a case is suspected.

“Students starting university and mixing with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria, are at risk of infection.

“Meningococcal bacteria do not spread easily. Only people who have had prolonged, close contact with the ill person are at a slightly increased risk of becoming unwell, which is why only very close contacts of the student are being identified and offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

“‘It is not necessary for anyone else to be given antibiotics.”

Related Articles