A former Salford University student has given a warning after fire officers were called to a house in Croydon – flip your toaster on its side and you could be toast.
The stark warning comes London fire chiefs warned after an aspiring chef tried to use the resourceful tactic last week and subsequently sparked a fire.
Matthew Hughes, 24, began to implement the method in his kitchen during his student days during his time at Salford Universities, but came to regret the decision.
“The first time it wasn’t too bad and I thought to give it a go again but when I did, I left the kitchen for a minute and came back to see it covered in smoke,” Matthew said.
“It set the fire alarm off and two of my friends had an exam the next day so were obviously not happy but it did teach me never to do it again – it could have been worse and the house could have been damaged.”
After the Croydon incident, the London Fire Brigade advised people to use a grill instead of a toaster when preparing cheese on toast.
Crew manager Nick Morley, who attended the fire, told the London Evening Standard: “Toasters are not designed to be put on their side and used to grill cheese on toast.
“Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface as we saw at this incident but the dry left over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.
“I never thought I’d have to give this advice as it’s painfully obvious but if you want cheese on toast use a grill not a toaster.”
Image courtesy of John McClumpha, with thanks.