People are taking ‘risks’ with their safety, as a third of Manchester homes contain dangerous gas appliances, a new study has found.
The Gas Safe Register have released information claiming that of 2,202 house checked in Manchester over the last five years, one in three contain unsafe equipment – with the announcement coinciding with the fifth annual Gas Safety Week.
A survey carried out in the North West has also found that the average price of gas safety check is £48, a figure which Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, hoped that people would spend that to ensure their safety.
“With the average cost of safety checking your gas boiler at just £48, it’s a small price to pay to keep you and your family safe and prevent damage to your home,” he said.
“While we’re seeing more people getting gas safety checks compared to last year, millions are still taking risks so we’re reminding people to make sure all their gas appliances are safety checked every year.”
Six deaths and over 300 injuries were caused nationwide by faulty gas appliances last year, and the Gas Safe Register is encouraging people to learn to look for the signs of unsafe equipment, and to recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Register have released a safety guidance video, which you can find below.
Image and video courtesy of Gas Safety Register, via Youtube, with thanks.