Oldham Council is offering prizes to school pupils in the borough for contributions to litter picking.
The social media based initiative has seen a rise of people joining in with competition and posting pictures of their litter picking contributions.
Each school will receive one point for a picture of one piece of rubbish picked up. There are two trophies up for grabs!
The primary school with the most points throughout November will win the competition.
Councillor Barbara Brownridge said: “The population of Oldham is more than 230,000. If each resident just picked up one piece of litter each day we would see a huge difference.
— Oldham Council (@OldhamCouncil) November 1, 2017
“It’s a great example of how we can all make significant change when everyone does their bit.
“We’re really looking forward to seeing young people across the borough getting enthusiastic about the environment.”
MM’s five good reasons why you should pick up litter
- Less litter brings benefits to humans and animals, such as animals not choking from ingesting it and our rivers, oceans and parks being free of rubbish.
- Removing litter reduces the toxins released into the atmosphere.
- Litter is an eyesore. Studies show litter can negatively impact your sense of community, so keep it beautiful.
- Encourage others to have a positive impact on the environment by picking up litter.
- Protecting children: litter can pose health & safety risks to vulnerable and curious children.
For more information and full terms and conditions click here.
— The Little Collector (@TLCwirral) October 31, 2017
Image courtesy of Oldham Council via Twitter, with thanks.