A shopkeeper and father of three was shot dead as he left his Openshaw store for the evening by armed robbers who made of with thounsands of pounds.
Police were called to Manchester Food Traders off Wood Street at 6.09pm on Friday October 31, following reports a man had been shot.
The 35-year-old – later identified as Pragaret Singh – was taken to hospital but sadly died as a result of his injuries.
The father-of-three from Swinton – known to family and friends as Charlie – was killed after being confronted by two robbers carrying guns as he was leaving the business for the evening.
It is thought Charlie was carrying up to £40,000 in cash when the incident occured, which the robbers are believed to have taken.
Detective Superintendent Jon Chadwick said: “First of all, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to Charlie’s family, his wife and his three young children.
“Although this investigation remains in its infancy, at this stage we believe Charlie’s death was the result of simply trying to protect his business from armed robbers, during which he was shot at least twice.”
It is believed Charlie grappled with at least one of the offenders before he was shot and the two robbers fled with a large amount of money.
Police have launched a murder investigation into Charlie’s death and are appealing to anyone with information to come forward.
One of the men involved was described as black, in his 20s or 30s, with spikey knotted hair, clean shaven, of a tall slim build and wearing a jacket with the sleeves rolled up.
Police are also appealing to anyone with information about the movements of a small silver car, possibly a Vauxhall, which may have been used by the offenders and drove off towards Ashton Old Road after the shooting.
Detective Superintendent Jon Chadwick said “Whilst we believe that the motive for this crime was robbery, the fact remains that anytime an individual carries a firearm there clearly goes with it a huge risk to people’s lives.
“This is an extremely sad reminder of just how devastating guns can be and yesterday a family lost a loving father, husband, brother, uncle and son in the most painful of ways.
“Right now our focus is on finding those responsible for Charlie’s murder and I would appeal to anyone who has information that might help us.
“We will be reviewing CCTV footage and making numerous inquiries but I would ask that if anyone has any information about Charlie’s murder, or perhaps saw a small silver car being driven suspiciously in the vicinity close to where Charlie was shot, that they call us, in confidence if needed.”
Assisant Chief Constable Zoe Sheard added: “I too would like to extend my condolences to Charlie’s family during what is a very harrowing time for them.
“His death will undoubtedly cause a mixture of shock and anxiety in the local community so I would like to reassure people who live and work in this area that we will leave absolutely no stone unturned to find out who was responsible for Charlie’s tragic murder.
“There will be a visible police presence in the area of the coming hours, days and weeks and I would urge anyone who is concerned to approach an officer and speak to them about any fears they may have.
“I understand that other businesses in this area may be concerned following this horrific incident. If you alarmed and wish to speak to your local Neigbourhood Policing Team then don’t hesitate to call us.
“I would also urge people to ensure their security measures are in place, such as making sure any CCTV is working, looking out for anyone suspicious hanging around the area and being aware of your surroundings when locking up.
“Charlie’s family are desperate for answers and we want to give them those answers so I would also urge anyone who knows anything about this senseless murder to come forward and speak to us.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Image courtesy of Facebook