The death of a nine-month-old girl who choked on mashed up shepherd’s pie in Cheadle Hulme was recorded as misadventure at an inquest today.
The jury ruled that ‘nothing could be done’ to prevent Millie Thompson’s death at Ramillies Hall private nursery on October 23 last year.
The infant developed breathing difficulties, suffered a cardiac arrest and tragically died.
A consultant paediatrician Robert Downes, a specialist in sudden child deaths, told the hearing yesterday that the infant died from a blockage in her left lung.
Nursery staff fought allegations they had panicked and consultant paediatrician Robert Downes, a specialist in sudden child deaths, said that Millie died from a blockage in her left lung.
He added that staff may have exacerbated the situation by putting air into her lungs, something that they would not have anticipated.
“It would have been very difficult. In the hospital this is a situation that would not be easy to diagnose unless one had access to X-ray,” he said.
“Paramedics receive training but they are not doctors.”
The coroner hearing the inquest, John Pollard, said he will write to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and the ambulance service to prevent future deaths.