‘I just thought I’ve got to get him out’: Marple hero saves man from burning house sparked by chip pan blaze

By Danielle Wainwright

A brave marple hero risked his life to save a man who had collapsed in a burning house after a chip pan fire started a blaze on Sunday.

Jason Malamed, 44, had been walking home with friends at around 8.30pm when he saw smoke coming out of a flat window on Waterside.

He then attempted to kick the door in but instead climbed through a window which was on a latch and found a 56-year-old man on the ground.

Jason said: “I almost fell over with him at first, but I got him to the window and the others pulled him through.

“The firefighters told me that the man would have been dead in a matter of minutes if I hadn’t pulled him out.”

After rescuing the man, Jason collapsed and was treated for smoke inhalation by a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service Trauma Technician and paramedics on the scene.

Crews from Marple and Offerton fire stations tackled the blaze, which caused massive damage to the kitchen.

The man who was rescued by Jason was taken to Stepping Hill Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. He has since been discharged.

Jason said: “I’m still a bit shaky and I’m struggling with my breathing a bit. I’ve got a bruised hand and sore feet from trying to kick the door in.

“I just thought I’ve got to get him out. I was in the right place at the right time.”

Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: “Jason’s actions were incredibly courageous and he undoubtedly saved this man’s life.

“We hope both Jason and the man he rescued have a quick recovery from their injuries.

“Chip pans are incredibly dangerous – especially if they are left unattended – that’s why we’re campaigning to Ban the Pan.

“We would urge everyone who has a chip pan to throw it away and find a safer way of cooking their chips, like a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer or in the oven.” 

Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service via Youtube, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles