Man left with second degree burns after faulty vape catches fire in his sleep

Fire officers have issued a warning after a man was left with severe burns when the vape he was holding as he slept overheated, melted onto his skin and set fire to his duvet.

The 21-year-old Ramsbottom man suffered second degree burns to part of his face, scalp, ear, shoulder, arm and hand, as well as first degree burns to his torso.

He awoke to the heat as his parents raised the alarm before the paramedics took him to Wythenshawe Hospital at 1.30pm. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) have issued a warning reminding residents to always buy electrical goods from reputable outlets and never to smoke in bed.

GMFRS head of prevention, Paul Duggan said: “Faulty or substandard electrical equipment can lead to a significant risk of fire.

“We would urge people always to buy electrical products from a reputable and trusted dealer.

“The products they sell will meet the correct safety standards whereas products bought cheaply online could pose a serious risk of fire or shock.”

The vape was being charged when it overheated, leaving nothing but the remnants of the battery pack behind after the unit melted and burned onto the sheets.

He added: “We would also strongly urge people never to smoke in bed or when tired because of the risk of falling asleep and the smoking materials catching light to the bed, clothing or furniture.”

GMFRS are urging people to take extra care during the national lockdown, as more people are working from home there is a greater risk of accidental fires in the house.

For more information on how to keep safe during lockdown, visit the GMFRS website or via Twitter using the hashtag #SafeatHomeGM.

Related Articles