An Oldham family’s dog was left temporarily blinded and with an ulcerated eye after thieves sprayed ammonia in its face when breaking into a house.
The Border Collie, named Jack, was discovered by his owners after crooks broke into the house on Thornham Road, Shaw, between 10.30am and 11.30am on Friday August 15.
Jack was taken to the vets and given painkillers as well as dye in his eyes which showed that one of them was badly ulcerated.
RSPCA Inspector Charlotte Melvin said: “This was a horrific and needless attack on a young dog as part of a burglary.
“The fumes from the chemical were overwhelming as I opened the door. The dog was rubbing his face because he was in so much pain.”
Police are calling for any witnesses who may have been driving or walking past at the time to come forward after the thieves made off with money, a laptop and a mobile phone.
Police Constable Tom Nicholson said: “Not only did the homeowners come back to see their house had been broken into but their beloved dog had been needlessly sprayed in the face with ammonia.
“The dog was in a lot of pain, had injuries to the eyes and was temporarily blinded. He needed treatment at the vets but thankfully they are recovering well.
“I would ask people who may have been walking or driving in the Thornham Road area at the time of the burglary and witnessed anything suspicious, to contact us.”
Anyone with information should phone police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Main image courtesy of Felipe Ernesto, with thanks
Inset image courtesy of GMP, with thanks