Woman battling depression tells family ‘don’t feel sad’ before jumping in front of Manchester-bound train

A young office manageress who jumped in front of a Manchester-bound train to end her life had been suffering from a depressive illness, an inquest has heard.

Lisa Loughney, 29, of Langho, near Blackburn, Lancashire, had broken up with her boyfriend due to the condition and told her doctor ‘life was not worth living’ months before her suicide.

She appeared to be recovering but whilst on a visit to see her family, penned a note saying ‘do not feel guilty or sad’.

The university psychology graduate later stood with her back to the 5.40pm Northern Rail train from Clitheroe to Manchester Oxford Road, just outside Langho station, on Sunday February 9.

She died at the scene from multiple injuries caused by the train which was travelling at 42mph.

Since her tragic death, Lisa’s family have raised £3,850 towards the mental health charity MIND.

An inquest was told how Lisa, who had three sisters, had studied at a Catholic high school and Liverpool University before going travelling and getting a job as an accounts manager at a marketing firm.

But her problems began in 2013 when she became ill and split up with her boyfriend before moving in with her sister, Aimee.

Her 53-year old mother Ann, a nurse, told the Clitheroe hearing:  “The depression, if that was what it is, contributed to the breakdown of the relationship.

“They were very much happy and loved each other but because of her illness, it contributed to the breakdown of the relationship.

“She did have some time off because of her illness but she had gone back to work before her death.

“We thought she was doing fine and they did not notice any difference with her work. We thought it was a good sign and they were quite flexible with her hours. They said there was nothing they could fault.”

But the family’s concerns heightened when Lisa turned down an invitation for dinner with the family at Christmas.

Mrs Loughney added: “Christmas is always spent together with the whole family but Lisa sort of said that she couldn’t face coming home. She just could not face it and so her three sisters drove over to Manchester and brought her home.

“She was very very down. She stayed in bed and her sisters stayed with her in her room. The next morning she got up and did seem slightly better and she joined in with the family, opening presents and she seemed to enjoy Christmas dinner.

”She had ups and downs – mood swings. She was quite down and then she would pick herself up again and go out with friends. She went back to Manchester and then it was her birthday. We arranged a spa day but she was not keen on going.

”She joined the gym and was socialising. I went up to Manchester and we had a mother and daughter shopping day and that was at the end of January. That was Lisa as she had been.”

The tragedy occurred in February after Lisa came home to see her family again. Mrs Loughney said: “She seemed fine and happy. When I asked her she said ‘I am up and down.’ She had insight.

”I know she was on medication and I know each day was a struggle. She had to motivate herself to do things and it was an effort for her to enjoy things.”

Mrs Loughney said she was planning to travel to Fleetwood to visit a poorly uncle and added: ”I asked Lisa if she wanted any breakfast. She seemed quite low so I asked if she wanted to talk. I had time to speak to her but she just said she did not want any help from anybody.

”She just did not want to talk. She said she was tired of everyone wanting to help her. Lisa often said things like that. I went to Fleetwood and it did not enter my head that she was going to do anything.”

Lisa’s GP, Dr Louise Hilton, who started treating her in May 2013 said: “She often became sad and teary. She thought that life was not worth living but there was no suicidal indications.

“Lisa felt she wanted to start on anti-depressants immediately and I agreed. She had good support from her family and friends during this.”

Dr Hilton added that in January, Lisa ‘felt better’ and that her family were noticing an improvement.

But train driver Mario Clayton told the inquest how he had no chance of avoiding Lisa as she stood on the tracks ahead of him.

“I sat up out of my seat pushing my back to the bulk head as if that was going to help. I then closed my eyes and waited for the train to come to a stop.

“This is the first incident in 15 years. My mind told me it had not happened but then of course it had happened.”

Recording a verdict of suicide, East Lancashire coroner Michael Singleton said: “There is nothing I can say to take the pain away. There is more than one victim here – friends and family of Lisa and Mr Clayton who was doing nothing other than going about his job. My sympathy goes out to them.”

To make a donation, click here

Story via Cavendish Press

Main image via Ian Threlfall, with thanks 

Related Articles