Warehouse Project double security, sniffer dogs and paramedics following death of Manchester reveller

By Danielle Wainwright

Warehouse Project are doubling their security, sniffer dogs and paramedics following the death of a partygoer on the opening night.

Nick Bonnie, 30, died on Friday night after it is believed he took a batch of tainted drugs. Four of his friends were also rushed to hospital.

A suspected drug dealer from Manchester was admitted to Salford Royal on Saturday after he was arrested. It is thought he had swallowed around 12 small bags of drugs while he was detained by police.

Officers are currently searching through CCTV footage of the super club to establish who sold the group drugs.

Detective Inspector Aaron Duggan said: “First and foremost, our thoughts go out to the family of this young man following this tragedy. 

“It is possible that there may a particularly bad batch of drugs out there in the community and that is a concern to us. 

“I would always urge people not to take illegal drugs and remind them that you do not know what they have been made up with. They can contain poisons and illicit chemicals that can have potentially fatal effects.” 

Police have linked the drug to three deaths in Macclesfield, two in Bolton , two in Wigan , two in Buxton, Derbyshire, and further fatalities in Salford and Warrington.

An investigation has been launched to find out whether the batch of ‘contaminated’ drugs caused the death of Mr Bonnie and have warned revellers who are planning to take illegal drugs.

Chief superintendent Mark Roberts said: “After the tragic events of Friday night it almost defies belief that drug dealers would continue to target this venue and equally that people would risk their lives by taking drugs supplied by people who have no regard whatsoever for their well-being and are purely interested in making money.

“The main point to get across is you do not know what is in the drugs you are taking and the potential effects they can have.”

A statement on The Warehouse Project website said: “Everyone at The Warehouse Project is devastated about the news and our condolences are with his family.

“The Warehouse Project are assisting the police with their on-going enquiries surrounding the circumstances of the man’s death. They have suggested that there may have been a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation as others who attended last night’s event are also unwell. While these people are whilst in no danger, some are still being treated.

“The Warehouse Project operates a zero tolerance policy with regards to drugs. However if you have taken something and start to feel unwell please tell a member of staff.”

Picture courtesy of Luke Ponting, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles