Nuttall Park dog poisonings could be act of revenge, says Ramsbottom councillor

Revenge may be the motive behind the poisoning of five dogs in Nuttall Park, according to a Ramsbottom councillor.

During the past month, five dogs have been poisoned by eating things in the park’s flowerbeds, with one reportedly dying as a result.

One of the cases alleges that a dog ate a piece of cheese which contained poison, arousing suspicions that the poisoning may be intentional.

Councillor Robert Hodkinson suggested that there may be a motive to the poisoning.

He said: “Whilst the vast majority of dog owners are respectful of other users of the Park and keep a keen eye on their dogs I am aware that dog fouling has been raised as an issue by other users of the Park.

“I appeal to whoever is responsible for laying the poison to consider that dogs are only doing what is natural and they are not responsible for their owner’s inaction when it comes to bagging up.

“I would remind the responsible person that young children may also come across and eat this poison.”

However these suspicions of foul play cannot be confirmed, as the case with the cheese is the only one where the item that the dog ate is known.

The poisonings could simply be the result of dogs eating a substance placed in the flowerbeds innocently as pest control.

Dan Jones, veterinary surgeon at Bonham Veterinary Centre in Ramsbottom, treated a number of the poisoned dogs.

He told MM: “It’s unusual because you’ve got a cluster of three or four maybe, that I know about anyway, dogs which is unusual because I’ve been here four years and I can’t remember seeing a case of toxicity similar to these dogs.

“My best guess at the moment is that it may be a slug bait or a metaldehyde poisoning because they exhibit signs associated with that.

“But unfortunately without pathological testing or anything I can’t prove it to anyone.”

Symptoms that are visible in the poisoned dogs treated at Bonham’s have been primarily neurological.  

Dr Jones listed tremors, high temperatures, agitation and the dog being unaware of its own environment as indicators that it may be poisoned.

Those who see any signs of poisoning in their dogs should take them to a vet immediately. All of the dogs treated at Bonham’s have recovered within 24 hours.

Image courtesy of Consumerist Dot Com, with thanks.

Related Articles