A mother of a Manchester teenager who suffered agonising burns on his hands when attending a bonfire last week has spoken out against irresponsible use of fireworks.
Firefighters were called to a dirt track in Stalybridge on Monday October 21 after the 13-year-old was burned by embers of a bonfire.
He suffered full thickness burns on his hands and bottom and has had to see a team of plastic surgeons and specialist doctors at Manchester Children’s Hospital.
His mother is warning others to take care in the run up to bonfire night and show their support for the Treacle Campaign which tackles against antisocial behaviour and criminal damage.
She said: “I wouldn’t want any other people to suffer like my son or for any parent to go through the worry and anguish I’m going through.
“It makes me sick that this has happened, he is having to get his burns dressed and scrubbed every other day – he’s in so much pain.
“Please – I don’t want anyone else to get hurt, like the fire service say, organised bonfires are the best way to stay safe and enjoy this time of year.”
Agencies involved with treacle, including Greater Manchester Police and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, are also urging residents to dispose of fireworks properly by calling 0800 555 815, so the service can collect and safely destroy them.
The fire service have also released a video warning of the consequences of irresponsible firework use after a 10-year-old Salford boy was badly burned by an illegal onion bomb
Assistant County Fire Officer and Director of Prevention, Peter O’Reilly, said: “As Bonfire Night approaches we want everyone to enjoy it safely.
“It’s hoped our fireworks amnesty will reassure people and help avoid and drive down firework related accidents.
“Of course we would urge anyone who wants to celebrate to only attend organised firework and bonfire displays, because that’s the safest way to enjoy festivities.”