Three-time world squash champion Nick Matthew has praised Manchester medical staff ahead of his AJ Bell British Squash Grand Prix title defence as he recovers from minor knee surgery.
The triple Commonwealth Games gold medallist underwent successful minor surgery on his left knee in July to repair a small tear in the meniscus.
It was an exact replica of the injury and surgery he went through five weeks before Glasgow 2014, where he went on to win gold and silver medals and now, seemingly, Matthew is raring to go again at the National Squash Centre from September 11-14.
“As always I’ve been indebted to the support of the medical staff at the English Institute of Sport, both in Sheffield & Manchester, and hope to repay them by making a successful return at the AJ Bell British Squash Grand Prix,” said the 35-year-old.
“I am as motivated as ever and hope to be in a position to challenge for more major titles once my match sharpness returns.”
World number two Matthew, who was recently awarded an OBE for services to squash, begins his first event of the 2015/16 season against compatriot Chris Simpson then faces a potential quarter-final clash with long-time rival James Willstrop.
Matthew has been successfully working through a rehabilitation programme but not after a shock to his system when he suffered the latest injury setback in his first full week of training after a break.
“It is bizarre to say the least that having never had any knee problems before I’ve had two identical operations in two years,” said Matthew.
“The difference this year has been that time has been on my side and I have been able to conduct a more patient and thorough rehab.
“The aim has been to be fit for a full season rather than a one off event like the Commonwealth Games last year.”
After Manchester Matthew will then go on to compete in the Net Suite Open in San Francisco and U.S. Open in Philadelphia.