Under-pressure Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has received the backing of Premier League rival and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.
There has been much speculation that the Italian will leave the Etihad Stadium this week, following defeat to Wigan Athletic in Saturday’s FA Cup final.
However, Wenger, who has been in charge of the Gunners for 17 years, condemned any decision to remover Mancini after just four years at the helm.
“I am against that,” he said. “You need stability and people who represent the values. I am sorry for any manager who loses their job.”
“I have the faith of my directors and I am grateful for that.”
City have had a disappointing campaign, following last year’s dramatic Premier League triumph – their first top-flight title in 44 years.
However, Mancini’s side failed to retain the title this year, did not manage a win in the Champions League and fell at the final hurdle in the FA Cup.
Malaga boss Manuel Pellegrini is believed to have been lined up as Mancini’s successor, but the Chilean shunned such rumours in an official club statement.
“I categorically deny that I am the new Manchester City coach,” he said.
“I have an agreement with Malaga not to talk to anyone and nothing has been agreed with any other outfit.
“Nothing has been signed and no agreement reached. I’ve been fortunate enough, and very proud, that every year the big clubs are interested in me.
“I hope the future of this club will become somewhat clearer in the next few days.”
Image courtesy of IndySportsNewsTV, via YouTube, with thanks.