Manchester City’s midfield enforcer Gareth Barry admits his time at the Etihad Stadium may be up next summer with no new deal on the horizon.
The 32-year-old moved to the Blues from Aston Villa for £12million in 2009 and has won both the Premier League title and FA Cup with City.
But his stay with Manchester’s blue half looks to be numbered with ever-increasing and fierce competition for a starting place in Manuel Pellegrini’s team.
“It’s just a case of wait and see, as far as a new contract is concerned,” he told the Sunday Mirror. “I’m a bit disappointed that there’s been no offer, but I haven’t got myself too down about it.
“I haven’t heard anything about a new deal from the club, so it looks as though my contract will run out next summer and I’ll have to take it from there.
“The manager has spoken to me. He told me that he sees a place for me in his squad as he wants two quality players in every position.
“I’ve got to admit that, with Yaya Toure, Javi Garcia and now Fernandinho in the squad, it’s going to be tough for anyone to nail down a position in central midfield.”
Having lost the Premier League title to bitter rivals Manchester United last campaign, City have spent around £100million so far this transfer window.
As well as bringing in Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho, Spanish internationals Alvaro Negredo and Jesus Navas and Montenegrin winger Stevan Jovetic have also joined Pellegrini’s side.
Barry has made 175 appearances in four seasons with City, finding the back of the net eight times.
Image courtesy of mcfcofficial, via Youtube, with thanks.